Mohsin N. Khambati
Mohsin Khambati has a hybrid corporate transactions/litigation practice, representing clients in M&A activity and asset sales, typically in distressed debt and restructuring type engagements. He has lead corporate and debt restructuring engagements for middle-market companies, including large hospital systems, automotive suppliers and life insurance settlement companies. He also represents borrowers, institutional bondholders, lenders, indenture trustees, bondholder committees and unsecured committees in debt negotiations and restructuring engagements.
Mohsin’s notable representations include:
- Represented Ritchie Risk-Linked Strategies Trading (Ireland) I & III, Irish special purpose vehicles owning asset-backed securities related to life insurance settlement policies valued at over $2 billion in Chapter 11 Cases, including sale of insurance portfolio.
- Represented Rockford Products Corporation, large regional and international automotive supplier, in Chapter 11 Case, including sale of the business.
- Represented Forum Health in business restructuring, including consideration of merger-related options as well as sale of non-core medical facilities and office buildings and the restructuring of bond debt.
- Represented St. Vincent’s Medical Centers in business restructuring options, including municipal funding and tax solutions, merger-related options and sale of medical facilities.
- Represented the Receiver in Wextrust Capital, a complex SEC fraud action in the Southern District of New York. Lead operations advisor, stabilizing revenues and streamlining operations and facilitating continuing operations and sale of $250 million commercial real estate and securities portfolio.
- Represented Law Debenture Trust Company of New York, as indenture trustee, Committee chair and litigation subcommittee co-chair in the Lyondell Chemical Company cases filed in the Southern District of New York. Advised client in complex litigation alleging avoidance claims in excess of tens of billions of dollars brought against leading financial institutions, directors and officers, and other key defendants involved in a failed LBO, resulting in a partial settlement and initial recovery to claimants in excess of $400 million. Represented client separately in litigation and settlement of claims against Lyondell subsidiaries, doubling the recovery for constituent noteholders.
- Represented Law Debenture as indenture trustee and Committee member in the Nortel Networks cases over claims and payment of unsecured notes with a principal amount of $150 million.
- Represented CNA in assessment and mitigation of claims in dozens of large asbestos and silica-related cases with individual policy exposure running from tens into hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Represented CNA in significant litigation and settlement of over $150 million Fidelity Bond claims.
- Represented Firemans Fund Insurance Company in disputes with J.A. Jones, Inc. and Modern Continental, negotiating and reducing client exposure in excess of $800 million.
- Represented multi-state broadcasting network in stabilizing business operations and assessment and restructuring of over $50 million in debt.
- Represented Belgian automotive parts supplier in onsite, general counsel capacity, including assessing ongoing business operations, sale and merger possibilities.
- Represented large Japanese automotive parts supplier in assessing and winding down joint venture operations with Federal-Mogul.
- Represented large international reinsurance company in assessment and restructuring of debt.
- “State Law Governing Chapter 9 Cases: Illinois & Michigan,” American College of Bankruptcy: Seventh Circuit Regional Education Program: Past is Prologue (September 2010) (with Lewis S. Rosenbloom).
- “Sixth Circuit Review,” American College of Bankruptcy: Circuit Review (September 2010)